Re: Can't open database for writting: No such file dialog box

At 05:08 PM 11/27/2004, you wrote:
>I tried Three times to install Cygwin on my computer.
>I downloaded all the packages from the sight:  except
>the databases, which I set to default.  I then click
>the setup icon to start the install.  I select Install
>from local directory and chose where I want to
>install.  Everything goes along just fine until "99%"
>done.  Then I get the "You should reboot for cygwin to
>take effect.." dialog box.

If you get this message, it means you already have 'cygwin1.dll'
on your system, apparently unbeknownst to you.  Presumably, this
came with some other third party software that you installed.

>Next, I get the dialog
>box:  "Can't open Package Database for writing:  no
>such file or directory".  I then reboot.  BUT I don't
>see cygwin in my start menu and I don't see the cygwin
>shortcut on my desktop.  What is going on, and how
>should I solve this problem?

Find where 'cygwin1.dll' is and delete it.  Considering that
'setup.exe' told you that you needed to reboot, you'll need to
figure out which program is using 'cygwin1.dll' and stop it
before you can actually delete the DLL.  Once you've done this,
read and follow:

How do I uninstall all of Cygwin?
<http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC19>

After doing this, you can reinstall Cygwin where you'd like it
and should be more successful.  If you want to make sure that
the program that was originally using it's own 'cygwin1.dll'
will still work, you just need to make sure that it sees the
new 'cygwin1.dll' that you installed.  The easiest way to do
that is to put the directory with 'cygwin1.dll' in your path.
If that doesn't work for you, you need to contact the third
party for help.  This list would, however, be interested in
knowing who this third party is and where you found the software
that uses the Cygwin DLL.

Holliston, MA 01746