Re: A vexing installation problem

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 01:59:07PM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:

> We prefer *attached* output.

Sorry about that; some lists discourage attachments.

> Anyway, I agree with Chris's comments, even
> though it's not obvious that this is the problem.  Look for duplicate
> cygwin1.dlls, remove them, and reboot.

Done that.  No duplicate cygwin1.dlls exist in my path, and rebooting
has no effect.

> You need to figure out why the postinstall scripts aren't running.

The postinstall scripts are all cygwin shell scripts and thus require
a functional 'sh' to do anything.  And, as with all other cygwin
programs, 'sh' just exits without doing anything.  As far as I can
tell, the existence of /etc/passwd and /etc/group can't be the issue,
since in order for the postinstall scripts to create these files, it
must be possible to run cygwin programs without these files already
present.  Otherwise it would be impossible to bootstrap to a working
setup.

> It's
> likely to be some permission issue as well.  As far as I can see, with the
> exception that your home directory isn't local, the '/etc/passwd' and
> '/etc/group' files should have been created fine.  Maybe your PDC isn't
> available?  More than likely that's not it.  I'd concentrate on the
> permissions.

It seems unlikely to be a file permissions problem; I'd think that I
would see a clue of that in the strace output.  I'm not Windows-savvy
enough to know how to check on my PDC but I think if the problem was
there I'd have more serious issues (like I wouldn't be able to log in
or mount network shares??)

I've dug up a program that I sometimes use that is distributed with an
ancient version of cygwin1.dll (1.3.2), and with an appropriately set
path, I can run that program.  Unfortunately, this is old enough that
I don't think it is much help.  And no, the existence of this old DLL
is not my problem.  It is not in my default path, and if I put it
there, things behave differently (I get popup windows complaining
about a missing __getreent symbol).

I tried installing the 1.5.11-1 cygwin package and that behaves the
same as 1.5.12-2.  Older versions seem to not be easily obtainable.

> Oh, and not that this is a problem but since you mentioned that you did
> a clean install as "just me", the output you sent was for "all users".
> The latter is really what you want anyway, if you ever think you'll
> run a Cygwin service.

Sorry, I should have said that after testing "just me", I scrubbed
again, rebooted, reinstalled with all defaults, rebooted, and captured
the cygcheck output.

I would try to debug this myself but don't see an easy way to do so.
An unstripped cygwin1.dll doesn't seem to be available; gdb just exits
without doing anything.  I've tried using the Visual Studio debugger
but it is kind of hard to get oriented without any symbols.  The only
possible clue I have is that VS is reporting an access violation in
kernel32.dll but I can't get a backtrace at that point.

-- Dave