RE: Serious Installation problems - possible workround but rapid fix required. - Possible Cause Found

Hello,

I wasn't subed to this list so I'll paste the relevant post that I have a possible solution for ..

--- Paste ---

From: "John Macallister"

Start with clean (no Cygwin files on disk) Windows2000 system.

Downloaded kit from Internet using "Install".

This completes successfully.

Install from this downloaded kit, again using "Install".

This proceeds until:

93%  In-use files have been replaced. You need to reboot as soon as
possible to activate the new versions.
      Cygwin may operate incorrectly until you reboot.

The Progress window indicates:

_update-info-dir-00230-1

/usr/X11R6/share/doc/Cygwin/xorg-x11-f100-6.8.1.0.README

Clicking OK then produces the folllowing window.

Can't open Package Database for writing: No such file or directory.

The procedure completes but Cygwin has not been properly installed.

Rebooting makes no difference.

--- End Paste ----

I ran into this exact problem today and what I noticed was that both XFree86 _and_ Xorg were in the list to "install". This seems a little wierd as I would think that they would install the same files, which would account for the "In-use files have been replaced" dialog.

The solution for me was to "skip" everything XFree86 related and "install" everything Xorg related .. no more errors.

So, I think the problem is that both packages are avaiable to be installed, and infact both are being installed .. just a thought tho :).

Hope this helps,
Demian