Re: FW: Serious Installation problems - possible workround but rapid fix required.

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 10:47:32AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 07:47:09PM -0000, John Macallister wrote:
>>I've done some more tests and here's what I did.
>>
>>I saved cygcheck from a previous failed installation which created a bin
>>directory with some contents but didn't complete.
>>
>>I removed virtually everything from the system apart from Windows
>>itself, including all references to Cygwin/Cygnus in the registry,
>> and the attached file is the output file from
>>
>>cygcheck -s -v -r > cygout.txt
>
>Since it seems like the strace that fails is not going to be very
>large, please send an example of a failing strace to this list.

Agh.  I fired this off on the way out the door and see that I responded
to the wrong thread.  Sorry.

This email thread is talking about a well known problem which has been
reported a few times.

The workaround has been suggested multiple times and it will be
triumphantly discovered at least once a week here until a new version of
setup.exe is released.  As mentioned, the workaround is to install
cygwin in two separate stages: 1) cygwin + everything but X and 2) just
X.

So, there is no need to send strace output.  I've responded to the
correct email message now.  So, you can now all get back to talking
about how you have to install cygwin in two stages.

cgf