Re: Error when installing

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:10:19AM -0500, Robert Pendell wrote:
>Frank Bures wrote:
>>I have been using cygwin for several years now.  I am now trying to
>>install the latest version.  I deleted my cygwin directory to avoid any
>>possible conflicts.  I downloaded the whole distribution to the local
>>drive.
>>
>>When I start the installation, it checks MD5's and then presents me
>>with the choice of packages.  I make my choice, the installation
>>continues by "checking MD5 for _update-info-dir-00230-1" and then the
>>following error appears: "Runtime Error! Program: C:\tmpcyg\setup.exe
>>abnormal program termination"
>>
>>The error message is not very helpful (true to its Window$ heritage).
>>There are no messages available in Event Viewer.
>>
>>Running Win2k, 5.00.2195, SP4
>>
>>What should I do next?
>
>That looks like a Visual Basic library error message.  Make sure your
>Visual Basic 6 libraries are installed properly and up to date.  ~ I
>think you can get the redistribution package for the dlls on the
>Microsoft site.

Er, no.

setup.exe doesn't use Visual Basic and no package in the distribution
uses Visual Basic.

If the OP is trying to install X as part of your installation, you need
to do it in two steps -- first install everything but X, then install X.
There is a bug in setup.exe which some people are tripping over.  It
seems to require this.

cgf