Re: How to make `mv the hard way' fail

When I use `mv' on a directory and any file within it happens to be locked
for some reason [e.g. I've opened it in Word], it will try to copy the
entire directory and then delete the original.

I consider this very dangerous behavior to be happening without my
specifically requesting it, and I'd like to make this fail rather than doing
this.  Is there any option in Cygwin to disable this?  Usually it is very
easy to fix the problem, but I want to be told about it rather than having
to ^C the mv and hope I caught it before it was in the middle of deleting
the original.

Thanks.

ben

If you have enough disk space you could do "cp -pr FROM TO" followed by "rm -rf FROM" if there are no errors reported by the cp command.

You could do a "diff -qr FROM TO" before the rm to feel even safer.

You could even write a little shell script that does the above, name
it mv, and put it in /usr/local/bin or some other place that comes
before mv.exe in your path.

If you really wanted to, that is.

Raye.