Re: Can't configure setup.exe from CVS (and a plea for setup.exe alternative)

Christopher Faylor writes:

> Anyone know of a suitable, free setup-like utility that could be
> pressed into service for use with cygwin?

NSIS has already been mentioned.

The other open-source utility I know of is Inno Setup
(http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php).

But if you really want to do yourself and your users a favor, you will
find some way to produce .msi packages (see
http://unattended.sourceforge.net/installers.html#msi).  MSI is
Microsoft's standard, and it provides several nice things
automatically, such as "Add/Remove Programs", unattended installation,
integration with SuS, and so on.

MSI also has a model for "components" which you might be able to
leverage.

The only problem is that the free tools for producing MSI packages are
fairly nascent.  See, for instance, <http://izfree.sourceforge.net/>
and <http://msi2xml.sourceforge.net/>.

 - Pat