How to use cygwin instead of MKS tool kit

Hi
I want to know how cygwin work instead of MKS tool
kit. I used cygwin instead of MKS tool kit when I am
installing my Oracle application I had successfully
installed it. But when I am trying to apply patches
for it I am not able to apply the patches and when i
was going through some forum I found that cygwin will
only support for the installation and not for applying
patch. I want to make it clear that statement is there
any way I can use cygwin to apply patch should I
upgrade or add any modules to cygwin so that I can use
cygwin for applying patches please kindly help me out.
 Thanks for your help

With Regards
Sathish