Bug: link.exe

The recent change of installing coreutils with `link.exe' has introduced a *new* problem with configurations using Microsoft Visual C++ with Cygwin's GNU `make'. Previously, one could specify "LD=link" in a Makefile, but now the corutils `link' will supplant Microsoft's linker, breaking builds. Specifying "LD=link" worked with all versions of Cygwin for at least the last two years, so this is a new problem. Since developers tend to install their tools in different locations, but always have these tools in their path, using "LD=link" has always been acceptable.

The coreutils `link' appears to reproduce the hard-link functionality of `ln', and should probably not be a part of the base installation.

My temporary fix for my developers is to remove coreutils `link' from our systems, but if it is reinstalled every time coreutils is upgraded, this will cause an ongoing problem.

IF