Re: cygwin python thread support

John,

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 05:45:31PM -0600, John A Meinel wrote:
> I'm working on a project that is using python with threads and
> readline.  As near as I can figure out, the default cygwin python has
> threads disabled. I've tried to do some searching about why, but the
> best I can find is this:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-09/msg01607.html
>
> Which is dated from 2001 and says that the reason threading is
> disabled is because the cygwin pthreads library was not very solid.
> I'm not sure if that is still the case, but I know *I've* used
> pthreads on windows, and have been quite happy with it.

The Cygwin Python README states the following:

    As of Cygwin Python 2.2.1-1, the port supports threading.  Many
    thanks to Rob Collins (and others) who enhanced Cygwin's pthreads
    support to the level needed by Python.

So, Cygwin Python has supported threading since 6/25/2002:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2002-06/msg00019.html

> Are there still problems with threading and python on cygwin, or has
> it just never been updated? Or am I missing something completely?

However, there are some occasional Cygwin Python thread hang problems on
Hyperthreaded Pentium 4 processors.  Search the archives, if interested.

> I would switch to the native win32 python version, but then I don't
> have readline, which is one of the fundamental reasons to use this
> project.

One can build readline for Win32 Python.  See the attach for a setup.py
that should get you started.  Sorry, that it is not quite ready for
public consumption...

Jason