Re: fortune maintainer wanted and question for Corinna (was Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:47:35PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:40:16PM -0800, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> >>
> >>Wow.  I think I vaguely recall that something like this was in fortune
> >>but, if I thought it was a good idea a couple of years ago, I have
> >>obviously grown more prudish since then.
> >>
> >>AFAICT, our fortune maintainer is long gone so I guess we're looking
> >>for a volunteer who would like to take up this package.  I don't know
> >>about Corinna but I don't like having this type of thing in the
> >>distribution.
> >>
> >>Corinna, you originally released this.  Where did you find it?  Did you
> >>just package it up directly from a BSD distribution?
> >
> >Reading /usr/doc/fortune-1.8/Notes and /usr/doc/fortune-1.8/README
> >would imply that limericks should be limericks-o (and rot13'd).  Then
> >it will only be actually accessed if you use fortune -a or fortune -o.
> >
> >I'd be willing to maintain it, but haven't maintained a package before
> >or even read the information about how to, so it would take me a little
> >bit to release a new version.
> >
> >I too would be interested in knowing where the package came from.  It
> >doesn't seem to say anywhere (except that the Notes and README have
> >NetBSD rcs tags).
>
> FWIW, it's in the FreeBSD CVS repository:
>
> cvs -d :ext:freebsdanoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co src/games/fortune
>
> may check this out.  I don't know for sure since I haven't updated this
> directory in a while.
>
> Maintaining this should not be hard.  I suspect it may build OOTB.  Thanks
> for considering it.

Ok, I will maintain it and will get a release out in the next couple
days (one week at the outside).  For the record, I will be changing
limerick (and gerrold.limerick, which is in the freebsd sources) to -o
files but continuing to install them.  They will be installed rot13'd,
and fortunes won't come from them unless you specify you want
offensive fortunes on the command line.

Feel free to let someone else do it if you'd prefer some other disposition
of the offensive stuff or want it dealt with sooner.