Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

Cygwin already provides the content.

Accidentally, and without the knowledge or consent of the user.

Bull. It is not installed by default. The user must select it, thus that's his consent.

You have almost completely misstated my argument. Allow me to restate it in convenient bullet-list form:

- The limericks in question could realistically get somebody fired or sued.

Nonsense. The fortune files exist on the computer. The only beef that an employer could have would have to result in that employer looking for trouble.

- I am realistically one of the many parties that could conceivably get sued.

Only if you wish to download fortune and take the things you find offensive and shove it onto the faces of others in the workplace. The same thing could be done with pencil and paper I might add. Perhaps we should band these offensive things too!

- Red Hat is even more realistically one of the many parties that could conceivably get sued.

Anybody could conceivably get sued because guess what? You can sue anybody. Not, again, winning that suit is an entirely different matter.

- The limericks in question are installed without the knowledge or consent of the installer.

Again bull. Gary you know that they are not installed by default, that the installer must consciously choose to install it. There is even suitable warnings in the manual and the user must also use -o (assuming the bug mentioned here is fixed). Given all that how can you say that this is installed without the knowledge or consent of the installer?

- The limericks in question are of interest only to junior-highschool-age sysadmins and lawyers.

Again bull. I'm not junior-high school aged nor are many others here who disagree with your POV.

- Redacting the limericks in question from Cygwin will eliminate the risk they cause.

Redacting all .exe would also eliminate any bugs. It is likewise as stupid.

- Redacting the limericks in question from Cygwin has no realistic chance of destroying Western democracies or throwing the world into an oppressive Stalinist nightmare.

We're not interested in any of that.

You could download the source and build it yourself. Just like you could with all the software which isn't provided in the Cygwin distro. Most of which contains no questionable material.

Just as you can refrain from installing or running this optional package. -- Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.