RE: Obscene content in cygwin file.

So are you a lawyer, or a junior-high-school-age sysadmin?

> ) - Redacting the limericks in question from Cygwin will
> eliminate the risk
> ) they cause.
>
> You are not a lawyer,

Says who?

> and you misused the verb "to redact".

Mmm, no, I don't think I did, but let's let Merriam J. Webster be the judge:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=redact&;
x=22&y=21
"Main Entry: re.dact
Pronunciation: ri-'dakt
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin redactus, past participle of redigere
1 : to put in writing : FRAME
2 : to select or adapt for publication : EDIT"

Choosing of course the second definition:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=edit
"Main Entry: 1ed.it
Pronunciation: 'e-d&t
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: back-formation from editor
1 a : to prepare (as literary material) for publication or public
presentation b : to assemble (as a moving picture or tape recording) by
cutting and rearranging c : to alter, adapt, or refine especially to bring
about conformity to a standard or to suit a particular purpose <carefully
edited the speech>
2 : to direct the publication of <edits the daily newspaper>
3 : DELETE -- usually used with out
- ed.it.able  /'e-d&-t&-b&l/ adjective"

So to complete the pedagogy, To redact the potty-mouth in question, one
would "3 : DELETE" the offensive material.

> Please do not try to express a false legal opinion to justify
> a faulty personal one.

I am expressing no legal opinion.  I am merely stating the obvious: if
there's no potty-mouth there to offend, nobody can be offended by the
potty-mouth.  Do you disagree with this axiom?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle