Re: cannot access $HOME (on Samba) via ssh

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Harald Dunkel wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> |
> | I believe you missed the fact that the above link talks about
> | *passwordless* authentication.  The authentication token constructed by
> | sshd won't contain the password, and therefore cannot be used to access
> | network shares that require authentication.  This is a Windows limitation,
> | and Cygwin can't do anything about it.
>
> Sorry, but I guess you missed the fact that I did not mention
> _passwordless_ authentication with any word.

Right.  The symptoms you described are usually indicative of passwordless
(publickey) authentication, which is why I assumed that (perhaps too
hastily).

> sshd _did_ ask me for a password.  Nevertheless, after entering the
> password my usual home dir //bierfass/dunkel was not available.  If
> Windows needs another password to access the network share, too: Fine.
> I wouldn't like to enter the same password twice, but it is still better
> than having no access to my data.

Hmm, weird.  Can you, from an ssh session, run "net use
'\\bierfass\dunkel' /user:dunkel '*'" and type in your password (assuming
your username is 'dunkel' and that this is the name you normally use to
authenticate with the Samba server)?  Does that command fail?  If not, are
you able to access your home directory after issuing that command?

> The link you had sent says
>
> [snip quote]

I'm well aware of what it says, thank you.  There was no need to repost it
to the list.

> If this method was introduced with Cygwin 1.3.3, how did ssh and rsh
> work before this release?

Password authentication always worked, IIRC.
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT