Re: odd behavior of symlinks on Win XP SP2

Thanks for looking at this Igor. Glad to know it isn't just me.

pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu said:
>  And, lo and behold, on a plain WinXP SP1 (note, no SP2) I get the
> same behavior.

aha. innaresting. Well, I installed vanilla XP and then copied over a buncha
directories from my old Win2k box, including \cygwin, and didn't play with it
much before I upgraded to SP2. So I didn't really note anything while it was
pre-SP2.

> Perhaps an update to Cygwin's symlink() implementation is in order?

that's what I'm thinking.

corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com said:
> 2001.  The shortcuts have been added to Cygwin in 2001.

ah, ok. I guess I didn't really start playing/using Cygwin in somewhat ernest
until around then anyway.

corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com said:
> And it doesn't really fail.  The shortcut is still a shortcut in
> Windows Explorer.

Well, I claim that it *does* "really fail" because they (cygwin-created
shortcut/symlinks) no longer -- on XP as compared to Win2k -- behave as they
did. One uses file open/save dialogs very often when using windoze and on XP
the cygwin-created shortcut/symlinks no longer behave as-documented (or
as-in-an-explorer-window). So they don't "fail in all use cases", rather they
"fail in some often-exercised use cases".

Seems to me we ought to see if we can't update the symlink() impl such that
this is addressed. I'm betting there's some new attributes or whatever (as
Igor notes) that've been added to symlinks in XP and if we can figure out what
that is, and figure out what the minimum is we need to change in our
cygwin-created .lnk files, we can perhaps (likely?) fix this without adversely
affecting performance. Maybe there's some new system call on XP that we can
use to create these buggers (if we're lucky)? After all, AFAIK, all cygwin
cares about is the cygwin path being in the .lnk file's "comment"
attribute/field, yes?

thanks again for looking into this,

JeffH