Re: pdksh not setting $? with exit status of commands

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, David Kramer wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha <at> cs.nyu.edu> writes:
> > On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, David Kramer wrote:
> >
> > > When I execute commands in the pdksh shell that should set an exit
> > > value, $? is not being set.  When I use the bash shell, it is.
> > >
> > > In pdksh:
> > > /c/windevel> grep o regexps
> > > oo
> > > /c/windevel> echo $?
> > > 0
> > > /c/windevel> grep Z regexps
> > > /c/windevel> echo $?
> > > 0
> >
> > Can't reproduce this here, sorry:
> >
> > $ pdksh
> > $ cygcheck -f /bin/pdksh
> > pdksh-5.2.14-3
> > $ grep o regexps ; echo $?
> > oo
> > 0
> > $ grep Z regexps ; echo $?
> > 1
>
> I see a functional difference in your example and mine.  You ran grep
> then echo separated by a ;, while I ran it on two separate lines.

Hmm, interesting.  I tried both ways, and they both worked identically for
me, so I posted the one that used less space...

> These should do the same thing (as it does on my other target, AIX), but
> it doesn't appear to.
>
> When I run your example in my Cygwin pdksh shell, I get the same results
> as you.  It looks like I can use that format as a workaround for the
> problem, but I sure would like to understand why it doesn't work as
> expected in my example, when both examples produce the same results in
> AIX's ksh, so I can predict these kinds of problems in the future
> better.
>
> Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics
> Current System Time: Wed Jan 19 16:13:42 2005
>
> Windows XP Professional Ver 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1
> [snip]
> Found: C:\cygwin\bin\grep.exe
> Found: c:\SFU\common\grep.exe
> Warning: C:\cygwin\bin\grep.exe hides c:\SFU\common\grep.exe

Ah, I think this may be your problem.  Are you *sure* you're using the
Cygwin grep?  In general, mixing MS SFU and Cygwin in the PATH is not a
good idea.

Try explicitly using /bin/grep, i.e.,

$ /bin/grep o regexps
oo
$ echo $?
0
$ /bin/grep Z regexps
$ echo $?
1

Igor Pechtchanski, Cygwin volunteer PDksh maintainer
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT