Re: Where can I get the source code for setup.exe

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Arthur I Schwarz wrote:

>  To:      Arthur I Schwarz <Arthur_I_Schwarz@XXXXXXXX.XXX>
>  From:    Igor Pechtchanski <pechtcha@XX.XXX.XXX>
>  Subject: Re: Where can I get the source code for setup.exe
>  Date:    01/24/2005 09:30 AM

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.  There's a way to do this
even in Lotus Notes (which you seem to be using).

> Art,
>
> It's usually a good idea to keep these sorts of discussions on-list.  In
> this particular case, I explicitly stated my desire that this discussion
> be on the list by setting Reply-To: (which your mailer seems to have
> ignored).  Would you mind re-replying (to keep the threading) to the list?
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> We'll continue there.
>         Igor
> P.S. FWIW, I don't mind having any of the contents below available
> publicly.

Frankly, if I wanted to break the threading, I could have simply sent my
reply to the list.  Oh, well, never mind, I'll try to restore it here...
More below.

> > Art,
> >
> > I set a Reply-To header on my messages -- please make sure your mailer
> > respects it.  Also, your method of quoting leaves much to be desired, as
> > it makes no visual distinction between your reply and the quoted
> > message...  More below.
> >
> > -- Your observation is correct. Sorry. I was forced to copy rather than
> > -- reply and just didn't hand indent.

I'm more concerned about the former (Reply-To) than the latter (quoting).
The quoting comment was more of an afterthought.

Ok, enough netiquette...

> > > Unfortunately Setup-2.427.1.1 did not compile for me (missing
> > > files/classes).
> >
> > (* Consults crystal ball... *)  Nope, no luck.  My crystal ball is very
> > clouded today.  Mind telling us the exact things you've tried and the
> > exact errors you got?
> >
> > -- Is this an insightful comment or sarcasm or just being clever. Hard
> > -- to tell.

The first 3 sentences are sarcasm.  The last one was (hopefully) an
insightful comment.  What exact compilation errors *did* you get?

> > > None of the messages I posted to cygwin@cygwin.com were ever put onto
> > > the mailing list nor answered (I sent three messages by two different
> > > mailors). Getting the hint, I stopped posting messages.
> >
> > Aside to CGF:
> > Hey, CGF!  I was sure you had better things to do than set up a filter
> > that specifically rejects any posts from Art...  That's going way beyond
> > mean!
> >
> > -- See comment above.

"Getting the hint", eh? :-)

<http://cygwin.com/lists.html#available-lists>, see first paragraph.

> > -- I don't quite know how to guarantee that
> > -- I only send text messages but this is my problem and I will certainly
> > -- address it. I think that at least one of the  messages was pure text
> > -- so that one should have gotten through. But, your observation is astute
> > -- and perceptive and something that would explain the prior lack of
> > -- posting.
> > -- On the other hand, the same e-mailer was used this time and all
> > -- messages seem to have been accepted by the Cygwin mail server.  Go
> > -- figure!

[OT] Lotus Notes usually asks me whether to send HTML or plain text.  I
use release 6.  If you use internet-style quoting, and don't use colors,
your mail should be sent as plain text, IIUC.

> > > I think that some Windows specific classes are used. In order to
> > > compile Setup you have to have access to the classes. I did try to
> > > compile the program using Visual Studio C++ unsuccessfully, but the
> > > effort was really a trial balloon and I didn't pursue it.
> >
> > Setup.exe sources are designed to be compiled with gcc on Cygwin.
> > None of the Windows-specific classes are used, beyond those provided
> > by the w32api package (and those aren't classes, but function headers
> > and macros, mostly).  I don't think it'll even compile with VSC++. Did
> > you install w32api?  The various -devel packages?
> >
> > -- Thanks for the tip. I believe that w32api is installed, at least I've
> > -- tried to install it. I've got most of the development packages
> > -- installed.
> > -- I don't remember which ones that I did not install, but there were
> > -- some.

You seem to have followed the <http://cygwin.com/problems.html> guidelines
incorrectly, and only provided the output of "cygcheck -src" instead of
"cygcheck -svr".  So, a lot of information about your system is missing.

However, the list of installed packages at the end of your output looks
suspicious.  Try running "cygcheck -cv" to see exactly what files it
thinks are missing.  If that's the system on which you were getting setup
compilation errors, I wouldn't be surprised...

> > -- Are there particular packages that are needed? I have all of gcc
> > -- (except objective-C).

Having gcc/binutils and autotools should be enough, IIRC.

> > > If you are one of the extremely lucky, you might be able to compile
> > > the code and get help from someone, anyone. If so, maybe you can
> > > send me an e-mail indicating what you did?
> >
> > The URL that I referred Dan to contains instructions for building
> > setup.exe from CVS sources.  If you had followed the instructions,
> > please provide a transcript of your commands and any errors you got
> > (feel free to snip out the parts of the build that succeeded).
> >
> > -- Thanks (very much by the way). I will look at the referenced URL and
> > -- download the instruction. They will certainly help (and before you
> > -- continue with an ad libitum remark - I should have known about it
> > -- before).

Ok, let us know if they work for you.

> > -- By the by, it appears that there are a number of error modes in Setup.
> > -- More than I would normally have expected. This is the caveat; I
> > -- make errors in my install. I would expect that the errors would be
> > -- caught, commented on (perhaps with an indication of how to fix
> > -- them) and then Setup would gracefully "bite the dust". This does
> > -- not seem to happen. Setup seems to throw it's hands up, sometimes
> > -- with a message, and then go away. In my original (not accepted)
> > -- post, I stated a desire to support the community by modifying Setup. I
> > -- hope that this last post by you provides the guidance that allows
> > -- me to do just that.

Uncaught exceptions are bugs, plain and simple.  Feel free to submit
patches.  And thanks for volunteering to contribute.

FWIW, one thing you should know is that setup bug reports and design
discussions usually happen on the cygwin-apps list (which is a
subscriber-only list).

> >                  (This is not part of Igor Pechtcha's e-mail)
                                                       ^nski

HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT