To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: Unable to properly execute a let statement from a shell script

Paolo Gesmundo wrote:

I know that I could modify a.sh by adding #!/bin/bash
at the top of the file but I would need to avoid this
otherwise I have to modify too many scripts

Is there a way to run a.sh like in Case 1 and get the
proper result like in Case 2?

It sounds like your scripts are banking on the assumption that under linux, sh=bash, whereas on Cygwin sh=ash. So, you can't get away with using bash-isms in scripts without shebangs because you are relying on a specific quirk of linux. If you require bash-specific features you need to either call bash explicitly in the shebang or exec the script from bash. Otherwise your script is not going to be portable on any system other than linux. bash != sh.

Brian