Re: customizing bash

vshastri@san.rr.com schrieb:
  I am a new cygwin user. I am not able to locate the .profile, .login .bashrc etc bash files, so I can use it to customize bash. I understand from various installation instruction that I red that the HOME env variable needs to be set for this.  I followed the instructions given in many cygwin guides and install docs and updated my HOME environment variable both in my Windows system environment variable tab as
HOME=C:\Documents and Settings\vshastri

And updated in cygwin.bat as follows before starting the bash shell:
@echo off
C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
set HOME=C:\Documents and Settings\vshastri
bash --login –i

Very bad. HOME is set automatically. First by cygwin and then verified by your /etc/profile if running bash --login.

man BASH => INVOCATION

See the cygwin FAQ:
  http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_3.html#SEC37

Then see the various bash beginner guides.
  http://www.tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html

And beware of the problem with spaces. esp. in your HOME.
Recommended is make /home/vshastri a symlink or mount to
"C:\Documents and Settings\vshastri", so you don't have to deal with the space in your HOME.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/