AW: WG: cp command - problem with sparse [sparse file support under NTFS (Win2k)]

Hi Corinna,

I am not sure whether this is a 128 k problem.  I tested with a file that
had 1 MB of data at the beginning and another 1 MB of data at the end.  In
between there were some 18 MB of zeroes (checked this with a hex-editor).

I produced that file by using eMule for downloading random files.  So, I
could produce a real sparse file on my NTFS volume which was 20 MB in
properties but only occupied 2 MB on my disk.  The sparse attribute was
properly set as well (checked with fsutil.exe from WinXP)

However, even when I tried to copy that file -- which was already
"sparse" -- with cp.exe to another folder on the same disk, the sparse
attribute was gone and the file now occupied 20 MB of disk space.

To me it looks as if neither the copy command for copying already existing
sparse files, nor the copy command for producing sparse files from files
with "holes" works on Windows NTFS 5.0-

Once again, this is the commands I typed in:

"cp --sparse=always c:\test.cfg c:\test2.cfg"

Hope I sent this mail to the correct address now, because I had some
problems with being blacklisted at cygwin.com, at least that's what an
autoresponder told me.

Cheers for now,

Rolf