Re: cp command - problem with sparse [sparse file support under NTFS (Win2k)]

RE <eicher_und_bergmann <at> yahoo.de> writes:

> I am not sure whether this is a 128 k problem.  I tested with a file that
> had 1 MB of data at the beginning and another 1 MB of data at the end.  In
> between there were some 18 MB of zeroes (checked this with a hex-editor).

I did the following test on Win2000 SP4, using cygwin 1.5.12 and coreutils
5.3.0-2 (actually, I strace'd the following calls to more closely track what
syscalls were happening).
$ dd bs=1 seek=128K of=t < /dev/null 2> /dev/null
$ cp --sparse=always t u
$ cp u v

Since fsutil is not present except on win2003 or XP, I used an alternative
method to check whether a file is sparse: opening up Windows explorer, and
viewing file properties.  For t, the file is 128k and occupies 128k of disk
space (t is not sparse), while for u and v, the file is 128k but occupies only
4k of disk space (both are sparse).  So `cp --sparse=always' worked for me to
create a sparse file when the source was not sparse, and plain `cp' worked to
preserve sparseness of an existing sparse file.

However, it points out a related bug in cygwin.  cp uses lseek() followed by
write(), so cygwin made u sparse because the write was at 128k beyond the end
of the current file size.  But dd uses lseek() followed by ftruncate(), and
cygwin just moved the end of the file without checking whether the file should
be made sparse.  The logic in write() needs to be copied to truncate() and
ftruncate() to allow dd to create sparse files in the first place.

> Hope I sent this mail to the correct address now, because I had some
> problems with being blacklisted at cygwin.com, at least that's what an
> autoresponder told me.

You should still reply and attach the cygcheck -svr output, per
http://cygwin.com/problems.html, so we can verify if your reported problem
stems from using the wrong version of cygwin or coreutils.

--
Eric Blake