RE: .bashrc not working (and yes I've read the FAQ etc as you'll see)

Steve wrote:

>Forgive the defensive addendum but I've no wish to be either flamed or
>ignored when I've tried available pathways to solving this.

Must ... resist ... urge ... to .... flame ... }:-)>

>Situation:
>
>.bashrc not working and yes my $home variable is correctly
>defined but I
>put a copy of .bashrc into / anyway just in case.
>The --login and -i switches are used.
>I even used the --rcfile switch and pointed it directly to my .bashrc
>file at which point cygwin just bombs out.
>
>.bashrc file contains only the line
>
>Alias ls='ls -al --color=auto'
>
>I even made .bashrc executable using the command chmod +x
>(just in case)
>but this changed none of the behaviour.   What am I missing.

I'm pretty much missing a proper description of the problem. Whaddaya
mean ".bashrc not working"? And what's "cygwin just bombs out" supposed
to mean - is it some sort of new hacker language or technical term I
didn't pick up on?

What's your entry in /etc/passwd say?

Regards,

Jesper Vad Kristensen