dlsym, Win32 error 127 ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND

Howdy folks.

I've some .dll/.so code I use for plugins to my html application parser.

This code works fine on various unix flavors of OS , but
not with cywin on windows XP. I use the cywin because
my remote location has me using satellite internet
which makes for high latency tenets, so developing on my laptop
is much easier.

I know that the loadable library is being found , as changing
the filename of the loadable to some bogus name gets an error
(ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND 126)

When I change the target filename back I get
(ERROR_PROC_NOT_FOUND 127) Actually the text of the error
is "dlsym, Win32 error 127"

I've seen a lot of questions on this subject , but no relevant answers

Any clues?