RE: Directory names

  No no no no no no no no no no no no NO!

  First off, even on POSIX, * isn't a valid filename character, so whether or
not a managed mount would permit it, it's still not the right answer.

  The actual problem is that Frank should not use "powerpc-*-eabin" as a target.
You may see target triples written in that form once in a while, but that's a
pattern-match.  The * means that the documentation is referring to "any powerpc
eabin target", not specifying which.  But when you run a configure, you *must*
specify a precise target.  It's no more valid to try and run a configure command
with "--target=powerpc-*-eabin" than it would be to try and configure with
"--target=*-gnu-linux" and hope you'd get a multiprocessor binary!

  So Frank needs to find something to go in the middle there.  "powerpc-*-eabin"
is a specimen target; Frank needs to find the correct triple for his actual
target.  I can't help there: Frank hasn't described what hardware/OS he wants
his cross-binutils to run on, and I've never even heard of 'eabin', so I can't
even begin to offer a guess as to what it should actually be.  Perhaps it's a
slightly mangled version of "powerpc-eabisim"?

    cheers,
      DaveK