Re: how to bring job to foreground?

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Mike wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Matt Wilkie might have said:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just suspended a short commandline script to the background using ctrl-z
> > How do I bring it forward again? The bash prompt didn't come up after ctrl-z.
> > The script is:
> >
> >     for dir in *; do tar czf $dir.tgz $dir;done
> >
> > If I open up another console I can see the processes are still active
> > using 'ps -a'
> > but the commands 'jobs, fg, bg' say there is nothing to control
> >
> > thanks in advance for your time,

> $ fg

I am not sure how "fg" would work. Matt doesn't not have a shell prompt
(as mentioned above) on the same terminal.

Does ps tell you it is in a suspended state (stopped process with state
flag "T")?

Use kill -SIGCONT on the suspended process ID.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 open source, Unix, *BSD, Linux training
	  	 	 http://www.pugetsoundtechnology.com/