Calling popen() from within DLL/SO

Hello folks.

I'm trying to figure out why calling popen()
from within a dll/so returns a file handle but
appears to neither execute the commands or return any results
via calls to fgets()

This is all code that has run on various *nix platforms, so
hopefully there is just something simple I missed in
digging through google , groups , cygwin ,/usr/shared/docs and the like.

Any clues appreciated, TIA