Re: Case handling of environment variables

Volker Quetschke wrote:

Can anyone point me to a message/webpage that explaines the reason
for this conversion? Unfortunately I didn't find any explanation
in the archives or the FAQ or the User's Guide.

The biggest reason is PATH. Most (all) POSIX programs will look for the environment variable in that specific case, so PATH definitely has to be up-cased for Cygwin programs. The other one is HOME, but that's usually synthesized or set explicitly anyway (not like to find an existing "Home" environment variable on Windows).

The others shouldn't matter, really - none are really common to Windows and POSIX. I guess because there's a *convention* that environment variables are declared in uppercase on Unix-y boxes.