1.5.12: signals stop working after system()

Ctrl-C cannot kill my program after it calls system(). It's happening
in a bigger program that uses UDP, etc. But I can reproduce it in the
tiny program below.

The following test program shows the problem. You can kill it with
ctrl-c during the first sleep, but you cannot kill it during the
second sleep. It will exit correctly after 5 seconds.

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
        printf("sleeping for 5 secs...\n");
        sleep(5);
        system("echo the hostname is: `hostname`");
        printf("sleeping for 5 secs...\n");
        sleep(5);
}

I noticed lots of discussion about signals in the archives, but
nothing related to signals and system().

  -jra