Re: cp (coreutils) 5.2.1 Corrupts Binary File

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Mar  2 09:11, Vincent Rowley wrote:
> > Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > >
> > > I just tried it on binmode and textmode mounts and in all combinations
> > > from binmode to textmoe and vice versa.  In no case I could reproduce
> > > your above observation.
> > >
> > > Are you sure you ran Cygwin's cp and diff?
> >
> > Yes I am. And I did it again using the full path to the executable
> > (c:/apps/cygwin being my Cygwin installation directory).
> >
> > peugeot[/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32]> c:/apps/cygwin/bin/cp notepad.exe
> > notepad_copy.exe
> > peugeot[/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32]> c:/apps/cygwin/bin/diff notepad.exe
> > notepad_copy.exe
> > Files notepad.exe and notepad_copy.exe differ
>
> Can you please check the files using cmp?

Here is the result:

peugeot[/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32]> which cmp
/usr/bin/cmp
peugeot[/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32]> cmp notepad.exe notepad_copy.exe
notepad.exe notepad_copy.exe differ: char 119, line 1

> > Do you think it has to do with the fact that I installed Cygwin to use
files
> > in DOS mode (in one of the first tab of the Setup.exe application)?
>
> You're using textmode mounts (I'd never do this voluntarily but YMMV).
> As I wrote in my first reply, I tested to copy between all combinations
> of binmode mounts and textmode mounts and the copy was in all cases
> identical to the original.

I'm actually not the only one at my company having this issue. Three of us are
in the same situation. All of us have installed Cygwin the same way though...