Re: cp (coreutils) 5.2.1 Corrupts Binary File

On Mar  2 10:14, Vincent Rowley wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> > Oh, wait.  I see you're running coreutils-5.2.1-2.  That version might
> > actually have textmode issues.  The current version is 5.2.1-5.  Could
> > you please try if that solves your problem?
>
> I will try this in a couple of hours and let you know.
>
> By the way, would you recommend us to install Cygwin selecting the Unix mode?
> If yes, how should we proceed since we have already installed it in DOS mode?
> I was thinking that we should select DOS since our non-Cygwin applications are
> Windows applications. Please let me know what you think.

I would always and everywhere suggest to install in binmode.  Textmode
is an unfortunate idea which only results in problems.  We're keeping
that for some sort of (probably misguided) backward compatibility.
Personally I'd rather get rid of them.

You don't have to reinstall everything when you change over to binmode,
but you should be aware that some of your textfiles have to be converted!
Tcsh for instance doesn't like \r\n in scripts.

If you want to switch over to binmode, just umount all of your mount points
and then re-mount them again using the -b option (but that's default anyway):

  cd /bin
  ./umount /
  ./mount -f C:/apps/cygwin /
  [etc]

The /cygdrive mounts are changed by just calling `mount -c /cygdrive'.

HTH,
Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.