Re: loading of wsock32 disturbs FPU

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 11:32:39AM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 03:37:42PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>
>>>Hmm?  -v please.
>>
>>I just added an finit call to wsock_init and it seems to work fine.
>>
>>Are there any non-FPU CPUs >= i386 out there which would choke on this
>>machine instruction?  I guess not, but I'm not exactly fluent in ix86
>>history...
>
>I mentioned to Corinna on irc that I don't think that just calling finit
>is the right way to handle this.  What if someone had already set the
>precision as they liked?  Then loading winsock would reset it.

I've checked in a patch to cygwin which saves and restores the FPU control
register around calls to LoadLibrary.  That seems to solve the problem.

I initially couldn't duplicate this FPU problem on my nifty
hyperthreading system.  Since Corinna verified that she could duplicate
the problem, I spent way too long trying to figure out why it wasn't a
problem for me.  The reason it worked for me was because a cygwin thread
was calling closesocket before main() was every reached, causing winsock
to be loaded for no good reason.  I was irritated to discover that I
inadvertently added a dependence on winsock to every cygwin program in
1.5.13 when I fixed the problem with handle leakage with select in
multi-threaded programs.

This irritates me enough that I'll probably release a 1.5.14 with a fix
soon.  I'm generating a new snapshot now.

cgf