Exim says TCP port "smtp" not found

I just downloaded & installed Cygwin w/ Exim on a Windows 2000 box and...
 - ran exim-conf successfully
 - chmod-ed all the log files & directories to SYSTEM:root
 - created the /var/mail and /var/spool/mail directories.

When I try to start exim service ("net start exim" from Cygwin bash shell) it says that it cannot be started. When I look in the log files, it says (in cygrunsrv_err.log):
TCP port "smtp" not found.

I looked in /etc/services and SMTP at port 25 is there (I hadn't touched the file to begin with).

What should I do?

-John