Re: types "quad_t" & "u_quad_t"

Linda W wrote:

> I was lamenting the lack of the simple "hexdump" facility
> I have on linux.  I figured -- how difficult would it be
> to port that.

Cygwin already has the 'od' utility (in coreutils) which has the same
functionality.  For example, "od -A x -v -t x1z filename" will give a
nice side-by-side hex/ascii output of a file.

> Well...not too, turns out, though, that it needs a type
> quad_t and u_quad_t defined.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, the quad_t and u_quad_t types
are BSD-isms and not actually part of any standard.  POSIX defines
int64_t and u_int64_t which would be the more portable types for a
program to use.  'hexdump' is from BSD as well so that's probably why it
uses them and not the standard ones.

Brian