Windows mysql CLI and Cygwin terminals

I found a reference to this problem in the July archives of this list, but I have a little to add so I'm hoping someone may be able to give a work around or note it as a bug.

When trying to run the mysql (windows version) command line client, the process seems to hang, but only if you're trying to interact with the server. In other words, if you supply a query to execute, the client properly returns the expected result, but when you would either be prompted for a password or be given an interactive prompt, the terminal hangs.

I believe this to be a problem with the interaction between a cygwin terminal (either a bash prompt or an xterm) and the client. When the client is run from a command.com or a cmd.exe window, it works fine. When it is run from an xterm, it just hangs. When run from a bash window you get the password prompt, but then every 2nd or 3rd character is echoed to the screen rather than displayed as an asterisk and when you hit ENTER, you get the hang. Even if I start cmd.exe from withing a bash window or xterm, I still get the aberrant behavior.

They're obviously doing something spiffy with their termio to get the hidden chars on the password and the command line editting and history within the client. Is there a better API the mysql devs could be writing to to be compatible with both cygwin terminals and the dos windows? Or is there a work around I can set in my environment to get windows compatible termio in my cygwin windows.

Thanks,
e.