Re: MVFS owner/group & permissions

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Andrzej Ostruszka wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 14 (2005), Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > First question: do you have both "ntsec" and "smbntsec" on?
>
> Not until you've asked :).  I'm not sure where it should be set so I set
> it in: Control_Panel->System->Advanced->Env_vars and I do see it in the
> subsequent shell invocations:
>
> aao014@aao014-01 ~
> $ echo "->$CYGWIN<-"
> ->ntsec smbntsec<-
>
> >                 If you *do* have it set, does Windows show different owner
> > and permissions via pure Windows means (i.e., the "Advanced" security
> > properties in Windows Explorer)?
>
> Well, if I choose the Properties item in the Windows Explorer I've got
> only two tabs: General and ClearCase and from the later I can view
> ClearCase properties.  But what I'm really after is not in there.
> I have to choose in Windows Explorer not Properties but
> Clearcase->Properties of Element->Protection(tab) and in there I've got
> owner, group and other with appropriate permissions.

Ouch.  So you probably can't determine these permissions using normal
Windows means.  Bummer. :-(

> > Basically, Cygwin can only do as much as the underlying Windows permits it
> > to.  If the underlying Windows doesn't recognize MVFS owner and
> > attributes, it's unlikely that Cygwin will.  If Windows does show the
> > correct permissions and Cygwin doesn't (and "ntsec/smbntsec" are both on),
> > it's probably a bug, and will have to be debugged/fixed (if it can't be
> > reproduced by the Cygwin developers, you'll need to help in debugging it
> > on your machine).
>
> If I've set the ntsec and smbntsec correctly then I guess I've got no
> chance to get what I wanted - am I right?

Not quite.  This does mean that Cygwin as-is will probably not do what you
want (unless there's a filesystem plugin to Windows that makes ClearCase
look just like any other remote filesystem via SMB).

> Is there a simple way to recognize the filesystem you're in?

Yes, see, for example, cygcheck.cc in the Cygwin sources.

> That way I could make a function that does normal ls and wraps e.g. the
> "cleartool describe" command if inside of MVFS.

You'd have to change more than "ls".  It's probably best to do this at the
Cygwin level (i.e., in cygwin1.dll).  See below.

> Will it be of any interest for the Cygwin to have some sort of plugins
> (so that I can write some extension which will be used e.g. for deciding
> the permissions of foreing filesystems).

Cygwin is a volunteer project.  The current motto of the maintainers is
<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC> -- any properly proposed patch will be
thoughtfully considered, and not dismissed out of hand.  For guidelines on
where and how to submit patches, see <http://cygwin.com/contrib.html>.

Cygwin already special-cases Samba filesystems, as well as other virtual
filesystems (see the fhandler_virtual class in the Cygwin sources).  My
guess (and it's only a guess, since I'm not responsible for these
decisions) is that if you manage to add some tests for MVFS that don't
slow down the common case too much (the definition of "too much" is, of
course, up to the project maintainers), it would have a good chance of
being included in the distribution.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT