Re: Cygwin's libtool problem with directory that contains white spaces

Jean-Philippe Barrette-LaPierre wrote:
I'm experiencing problems with libtool 1.5.10 on Cygwin. I'm trying to compile a project in:

/home/Jean-Philippe\ Barret/project/curlpp

In the 'examples' subdirectory, this problem occurs:

[snip]

you can see that this is not correct. It didn't expanded the "-L/home/Jean-Philippe Barret/curlpp/curlpp"
("-L../curlpp" on the libtool call) correctly. We should have this line instead:

+ deplibs=-L/home/Jean-Philippe Barret/curlpp/curlpp

So, it seems that it doesn't handle correctly a directory with white spaces. I tried with a directory without any whitespace, and it worked perfectly.

Yep. Cygwin's libtool, which is almost unchanged from the official 1.5.10 -- does not support pathnames with spaces in them. I would ask for patches, but things seem to be gearing up for the long-heralded libtool-2.0 release and it may (or may not?) have fixed problems of this sort.

Unfortunately, all I can recommend at this time is "don't do that." Maybe unpack and build in /tmp/curlpp instead of in your $HOME.

--
Chuck