Re: fork error in Windows 2003 running as normal user

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Kris Thielemans wrote:

> Corrado Labinaz <corradolab <at> virgilio.it> writes:
>
> > I've installed latest (1.5.13) cygwin on Windows Server 2003.
> > It works fine while logged on as Administrator.
> > Launching Bash as a "normal" User give the following error:
> >
> >       3 [main] bash 3252 fork_parent: child 3260 died waiting for longjmp
> > before
> >  initialization
> > bash: fork: Bad file descriptor
>
> Hi
>
> I have exactly the same under Windows XP Home sp2.

Not the same problem at all.

> In fact, I had a lot of trouble to get cygwin to work earlier for non-admin
> users on this machine. The permissions were always wrong (e.g. files in /bin
> were only executable for administrators, files in "Documents and Settings"
> were all owned by the administrator etc). I fixed all (?) that by using
> chmod and chown and got it to work. Then I updated to the latest cygwin and
> am stuck again. I still strongly suspect a permission problem, but cannot
> find which one.

What does "getfacl /bin" report?  I'd bet there isn't an inheritable
execute permission for everyone.  If this is the case, all the DLLs will
not be executable for "other", which is consistent with your symptoms
below.

> Some more info:
>
> - going to a windows cmd prompt, cd \cygwin\bin, executing just bash, does
> not give this error, but I'm still stuck with that error message when
> running any executable e.g. ls
>
> - from a windows cmd prompt, executing some other cygwin utilities gives the
> following:
> C:\cygwin\bin\id.exe (3876): *** could not load user32, Win32 error 1114
>
> Win32 error 1114 is apparently
> "A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed."

It's probably not "user32" (as bash also uses it).  Try "cygintl-3.dll" or
"cygiconv-2.dll".

> So, I checked permissions of user32.dll in c:\windows\system32. Weirdly
> enough, all dll and exe there are listed as owned by adminstrators, and
> rwxrwx---. That does not make any sense to me. Anyway, I tried then to chmod
> +rx user32.dll (and some other dlls) but that didn't change the above error,
> nor solve the problem.
>
> - ssh non-admin-user@machine (e.g. when logged in as admin on machine) works
> fine. I can then do ls etc without problems. (isn't that weird?)

It is.  Probably because some of SYSTEM's credentials leak through to the
underlying shell...

> - cygcheck -s as non-admin user says there are 2 cygwin1.dll in the path
> (but both listed as .\cygwin1.dll). cygcheck -s as admin users does not
> complain at all. and of course, I can find only 1 in c:\cygwin\bin anyway.
> (Maybe this is because cygcheck has some problems? It obviously complains
> about running id.exe for instance).

This is a superfluous message in this case.  It appears whenever cygcheck
is run from /bin, since cygcheck always checks the current directory
independently of the PATH.  Arguably, it's a cygcheck bug.

Either you ran admin's cygcheck from a different directory, or "."
is not in the PATH for admin...  According to your cygcheck output, it's
the former.

FYI, it's better to run "cygcheck -svr" instead of just "cygcheck -s", as
you seem to have done.

> I've attached both cygchecks.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Try "chmod a+x /bin/*.dll" and see if that solves your problem.  If yes,
then "setfacl -m d:m:rwx,d:g:rwx,d:o:r-x /bin" should help for future
updates...
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT