Re: clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

At 10:20 PM 3/24/2005, you wrote:
>Jim Kleckner wrote:
>
>> This is helpful, thank you.  Being curious and trying to be minimal
>> about changes
>> to the system in question, I tried removing and linking the dll in
>> place.  I first tried
>> "ln -s /bin/cygwin1.dll" in the clamwin/bin directory and wasn't
>> surprised that it
>> didn't work.  Being Unix person by background, I then tried "ln
>> /bin/cygwin1.dll"
>> and that surprised me by working.  I expected to see an NTFS cygwin1.dll.lnk
>> file in there but using "cmd.exe" and "dir" or the windows explorer
>> looks like a
>> full copy of the dll file.  An "ls -l" tantalizingly shows a link count
>> of 2.  "info ln"
>> doesn't give any cygwin-specific info.  The section of the user guide
>> located here:
>>   http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-effectively.html#id2950938
>> has some wording that implies this might work but isin't definitive.
>>
>> My question now is, can "ln" be used to work around this issue or is
>> that a "bad idea"?
>
>A symlink won't work, because it's Windows own loader that searches for
>and loads any .DLLs called for by an .exe.  Windows does not understand
>symlinks as they are a Cygwin thing, so you can't symlink a DLL and
>expect it to load.
>
>NTFS does not support symbolic links but it does support hard links, see
><http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_baey.asp?frame=true>.
>If the volume is NTFS, 'ln' will use this capability.  On 9x or FAT it
>will make a copy (I think.)

Right.  It will.  It's also worth noting that hard links break again as
soon as you update either clamwin or Cygwin, even on NTFS volumes.
Alternatively, if you make sure that clamwin can see your Cygwin
installation, it will seamlessly work through Cygwin updates.  But the
only way you're going to get clamwin to work seamlessly through updates
of clamwin is to get clamwin's installation to change.

Holliston, MA 01746