RE: pwd vs $PWD, bash, cygwin vs Linux

----Original Message----

s,every time you invoke make,on those rare occasions when you invoke make on
a buggy non-portable makefile that specifically is non-portable in this
particular fashion of expecting bash behaviour from any arbitrary /bin/sh
implementation,g

>That's why I didn't
> suggest this in my first response even though I'm a makefile *guru*.

  I guess that first post of mine must _still_ not have arrived then,
because all I said was to use the $SHELL variable:  I have never at any
point *denied* there is more than one way to set a make variable.

> Of course, you could just put a
>
> SHELL = /bin/bash
>
> in the Makefile but then, gasp!, you'd be modifying the makefile and
> shirley you don't intend every person in this space time continuum to do
> that.

  I'm not clear now... are you recommending changing the makefile locally,
or not?!

  In any case, it's not necessarily the most appropriate answer to give in
reply to a post that asked "What if it is not your makefile?", which I
implicitly took as meaning "Is there a solution that *doesn't* involve
editing the makefile?".

> I guess if your goal is to just build a package and forget about it, then
> using the command line is acceptable.  You just have to remember to do
> that again, when you build the package in six months.

  Whereas with your solution, you only have to remember to edit the makefile
and add "SHELL=/bin/bash" again, when you build the package in six months.
Hey, I really don't see one of those as being any more or less  difficult /
easy / reliable / errorprone than the other.

>  Or, maybe you
> could make a shell alias!  Yeah, that's the ticket.
>
> cgf

  My *goal* was to suggest a solution that met the requirements specified by
the OP:

"Make is spawning ash as the subshell, not bash.  [ ...snip... ] Can that
behaviour be modified at the runtime/user/Makefile level?"

  The answer I gave was simple and correct and pointed at the *technique*
without specifying a particular implementation:

"The make documentation regarding $SHELL would suggest so."

  When my first post seemed to have entirely skipped below everyone's
threshold of perception, I posted a concrete example.  I didn't say it was
the only way to do it.

    cheers,
      DaveK