Re: Using -mno-cygwin flag

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 01:32:19PM -0400, Sam Steingold wrote:
>> * Larry Hall <yu-ab-crefbany-ercyvrf-cyrnfr@pltjva.pbz> [2005-05-04 13:02:44 -0400]:

>>>this is very unfortunate, actually.  things like berkeley-db,
>>>postgresql, pcre &c all have a native win32 port, and it it a pity that
>>>-mno-cygwin does not use them.
>>
>>That's something to take up with the MinGW folks (www.mingw.org).
>
>I am not quite clear on the exact relationship between cygwin and MinGW
>project (I assumed that they are independent except that cygwin
>includes parts of MinGW).  Why would I want to talk to them?
>
>I think that cygwin should include the native ports of packages for
>which such ports exist - as a matter of policy.

I don't see any reason to duplicate the work of the people who are
already providing native windows ports.  -mno-cygwin is mainly a
convenience for people who need to write trivial windows programs.  It
isn't intended to be used to port huge non-cygwin projects to windows.

It can be used to do that with some added work, but I think I'm being
pretty consistent in saying that supporting non-cygwin applications
is not a high-priority goal for the cygwin project.

>Note that I cannot switch to MinGW completely because it does not
>support X, so I am either stuck with <B> using cygwin (for no technical
>reason), or with two separate independent development systems (Cygwin
>and MinGW).

You can install the mingw toolchain and use it with cygwin with no
problem (Danny are you reading this?).  MinGW and cygwin are not
mutually exclusive.

cgf