Re: setup alternatives (was Re: Bespoke installations: simple elegance of setup.exe when setup.ini is absent)

Christopher Faylor <cgf-no-personal-reply-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 03:04:24AM -0400, Arturus Magi wrote:
> >Jani Tiainen wrote:
> >>Why to reinvent wheel..?
> >>
> >>You could use existing systems, like Debian package-system (deb),
> >>RPM-system like Fedora Core/RedHat, or Gentoo's Emerge.
> >
> >I also seem to recall someone using apt-get in Cygwin-space at one
> >time, but Google doesn't want to be my friend today.
>
> When I asked for alternatives I was thinking that maybe anyone who had
> to use a screen reader would have a suggestion for software that was
> more accessible than cygwin's setup.exe.  So far, I haven't seen any
> suggestions which take that into account.
>
> cgf

YaST from SUSE is now GPL and handles dependencies quite well, the reason I
mention it is that as an alternative to the more normal 'pretty' gui it also
has a text mode gui-ish interface which may work better with a screen
reader/magnifier.

Bill
--
       ___