RE: mkdir -p and network drives

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Dave Korn wrote:

> [...]

Umm, yes, of course, I meant "for the cases when doing 'mkdir -p' on a
network share".

> I can't see any reason why you'd want to check shares on any machine
> other than //MACHINE either, and in fact I can't see why you'd care
> about checking any share on //MACHINE other than the one specified after
> '//MACHINE/' in the command line.  Could you perhaps expond on that
> statement a bit?

Well, CGF summarized this nicely -- mkdir -p checks '//', then
'//MACHINE', and only then '//MACHINE/Share'.  Usually, if
'//MACHINE/Share' is "net use"d, the fact of its existence and
accessibility is cached.  If we added the semantics for accessing '//' and
'//MACHINE' as was suggested earlier in the thread, then '//' would try to
list all machines on the network, '//MACHINE' would try to access all
shares on a particular machine (not necessarily a fast operation), and
only then would mkdir get to '//MACHINE/Share' that is cached.

There's always Pierre's solution of doing minimal support for stat()ing
'//' and '//MACHINE', though...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT