sshd "owned by root" error

I just finished an install of Cygwin's OpenSSH on XP SP 2. Along the way I
got the error:

/var/empty must be owned by root and not group or world-writable.

This has been discussed several places before, I know. Still, I had a
different experience than previous posts. I found that what "owned by root"
meant was actually owned by the account running sshd. So, when I ran
/usr/sbin/sshd -D under my domain account, I had to chown /var/empty to my
account.

I tried to get sshd to run as a service under the system account, but it
wouldn't start. The console error message (on typing net start sshd) was not
helpful, and the event log just said "starting service `sshd' failed: execv:
255, error 255." Even with /var/empty chowned to system, no luck. So I was
forced to change the sshd service to run as my domain account, and to
similarly take ownership of /var/empty.

I found this error message originates on line 1166 of sshd.c in the openssh
package. Perhaps it should be changed. Saying "owned by root" doesn't make
much sense here.

Cheers,
Peter