RE: echo "$(echo '\r')" oddity

This is exactly the problem I am seeing and it also happens with a few other
tests. When using
  socat -d -d -d -v
it turns out that the server process is sending back the text (< hello) but
this text never ends up at the client. This also happens when the server is
running on Cygwin and the client is running on Linux (change the client
command to use the server's IP address instead of localhost). My guess was
that this is a flushing problem and not a race condition; BTW, I am 99.9999%
convinced that this is caused by socat and not by the openssl server
process.

hmmmm I was hoping somebody had a terribly bright idea before I started
using strace but I guess that's what I will have to do ....

thx,

JJK