RE: problems in Perl process management

Chris -

> YJS?
I don't understand this.

> I felt the need to clarify after your observation about "kill -9" which
> mentioned a "cygwin terminal" and did not appear to have any direct
The Perl testcase in my first email showed I was calling "killfam 'KILL',
$childpid". Jurgen replied he also wanted to know if this was possible and
reported a similar problem killing grandchildren processes in Perl (but with
Perl's built-in kill command). At this point, you entered the conversation
and told him:

> > I also notice that deeper forked processes (grandchildren)
> > refuse to die.
> You can't send cygwin (aka unix) signals to a windows proram.

Which is wrong - we were talking about killing the Cygwin PID. When I
corrected you, thinking that maybe you were talking about non-Cygwin Windows
programs, your initial reply was this one-liner:

> > This should be possible if the ActiPerl Windows executable was
> > executed from a Cygwin terminal -- 'ps' shows it running and should kill

> > 'kill -9' it.
> I guess I forgot my signature.
> Cygwin Co-Project Leader

Which isn't any help. You later corrected yourself.

> Since I didn't recognize your name, and you seemed to be trying to
> inform me about code that I wrote,
No. As mentioned in my *first* email, the problem is probably Perl's
Proc::ProcessTable module. Unless you wrote the Perl XS interface for
Proc::ProcessTable (or something similar that controls it's behavior), this
does not concern your code which probably behaves just fine.

Coming back to actual issue.... I referenced a discussion earlier on this
list where a similar problem was discussed. I was hoping to hear from the
people originally discussing it (Reini, Yitzchak, etc.) If you can help with
this issue - great.

Regards,
Sonam Chauhan
--
Electronic Commerce, Corporate Express Australia Ltd.