RE: problems in Perl process management

Yitzchak:

> I had thought Gerrit would release a new 5.8.6 with them, but this
> doesn't seem to have happened; don't know if I somehow dropped the
> ball on that.  In any case, I'm really really hoping that 5.8.7 is
> released in the next few weeks.
>
> I don't know anything about problems with Proc::ProcessTable other than
> what may have been mentioned in that thread.  Perhaps you'd like to look
> into it further?

Yes.

Can you confirm whether your patch addresses a problem Reini reported your
thread in Feb? It was this message:
	http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-02/msg00224.html
...where Reini said:
> > But the cygwin pid's seem to be wrong.
> > Some cygwin processes are not detected as such, so the pids are
> > listed as winpid's. And fname is printed as windows path for
> > those processes, though it should be printed as cygwin path.
> > I'll complain upstream.

My problem is similar - in Cygwin, Proc::ProcessTable reports some PIDs as
WINPIDs instead of Cygwin PIDs.

In terms of my testcase (attached to my first email), the effect is that the
get_pids method in Proc::Killfam.pm does not recurse down all descendant
processes due to inaccurate PID reporting by Proc::ProcessTable.

> > > ActiveState perl is a windows program.  You can't send cygwin (aka
> unix)
> > > signals to a windows proram.
> > This should be possible if the ActiPerl Windows executable was executed
> from
> > a Cygwin terminal -- 'ps' shows it running and 'kill -9' should kill it.
>
> ? "This should be possible" meaning what?  You indeed can't send cygwin
> signals (which AIUIkill -9 is not) to windows programs.

What is 'AIUIkill'? Did you mean 'kill -9'? Isn't SIGKILL a Unix signal? The
context of the original discussion was about killing processes by sending a
SIGKILL (please see: http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-05/msg00550.html )

Sincerely,
Sonam Chauhan
--
Electronic Commerce, Corporate Express Australia Ltd.
Phone: +61-2-9335-0725, Email: sonam.chauhan@ce.com.au