Re: problems in Perl process management

Earlier topquoting somewhat reformated.

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:09:18AM +1000, Sonam Chauhan wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:24:56PM +1000, Sonam Chauhan wrote:
> > >Christopher -
> > >
> > >So what me and Jurgen were discussing works, and you were wrong.
> > >Thanks for revisiting your point after your earlier rudeness.

I just reread the whole thread three times, and fail to detect any
rudeness from him.  He did confess to being "flip", though.  (I thought
it was just an attempt at humor.)

> > YJS?
> I don't understand this.

Me neither, nor http://cygwin.com/acronyms or the other sites linked
to there.

> > I felt the need to clarify after your observation about "kill -9" which
> > mentioned a "cygwin terminal" and did not appear to have any direct
> The Perl testcase in my first email showed I was calling "killfam 'KILL',
> $childpid". Jurgen replied he also wanted to know if this was possible and
> reported a similar problem killing grandchildren processes in Perl (but with
> Perl's built-in kill command). At this point, you entered the conversation
> and told him:
>
> > > I also notice that deeper forked processes (grandchildren)
> > > refuse to die.
> > You can't send cygwin (aka unix) signals to a windows proram.
>
> Which is wrong - we were talking about killing the Cygwin PID.

"we"? He wasn't responding to you, and I see nothing in Jurgen's
message to indicate he is talking about a situation involving *any*
cygwin programs; in fact, quite the contrary.

 When I