How to separate backspace and control-J functions?

On my Debian Linux bash shell, the backspace key kills
the current character ("backward-delete-char" function
in .inputrc) and my ctrl-H key simply moves the cursor
left ("backward-char" function in .inputrc)

However, in cygwin's bash shell, whenever I use
.inputrc to assign a function to control-J, then the
backspace key gets the same function.  (the .inputrc
line is  "\C-H": backward-char )

In cygwin, how can I assign ^J to "backward-char" but
leave the default behavior for the backspace key
("backward-delete-char")?