RE: problems in Perl process management

Reini:

[Note, I'm no Cygwin expert, so please correct any misunderstandings.]

> >>or fix it in this module XS. It's really easy with the cygwin provided
> >>translation functions.
> >>   See http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-02/msg00154.html
> > After all, Proc::ProcessTable misreports the PID and
> > PPID only under certain conditions -- this would indicate a complex
> issue in
> > Proc::ProcessTable XS code, right?
>
> No. Just the translation is needed, but one has to specify somehow which
>   pid's he wants. The cygwin pid's or the winpid's.
> Both have their merits and usecases.

Why are two usecases needed? The code that builds the process table
(returned by Proc::ProcessTable->table) should return the same PID and PPID
that 'ps' reports - no exceptions - right?

I had a look in Proc::ProcessTable's .xs and os/cygwin.c. There seem to be a
problem with the process table data returned by this code in the
OS_get_table() function:

This defines an internal Cygwin query to return process information:
	cygwin_getinfo_types query = CW_GETPINFO_FULL;
This executes the query within a for loop:
	p = (external_pinfo *) cygwin_internal (query, pid | CW_NEXTPID);

>From what I gather, the root problem is that for some processes (as
demonstrated by my testcase script), the CW_GETPINFO_FULL query returns:
1. Invalid PPIDs
2. WINPID instead of Cygwin PID.

How will the translation functions you mentioned solve these two problems?

Cheers,
Sonam