Re: [patch] several new features for cygrunsrv

On Thu, 19 May 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> (I realize this list is technically only for patches on cygwin, but
> cygrunsrv is close enough...)

Replying to the main Cygwin list.

> I've implemented some new features for cygrunsrv that I think might be
> useful to people.  Examples follow.

First off, Brian, thank you, thank you, thank you!  Both of these had been
on my TODO list for a (sigh) very long time, and I'm glad you've gotten a
round tuit before me.  A couple of comments on the patch, though.

> A new command "-L" / "--list" can be specified that will list all
> installed cygrunsrv services:
>
> $ cygrunsrv --list
> apache cron cygserver mailtun sshd

Since some services have spaces in their names, it might perhaps be a
better idea to output one service name per line (I would even go so far as
add a -0/--null option to end lines with '\0', but that's for a later
patch).  If one wanted them on one line, something like

echo `cygrunsrv -L`

will do.

> This is meant to facilitate scripting, e.g. if you wanted to disable all
> running Cygwin services you can now do something like:
>
> for S in `cygrunsrv -L`; do cygrunsrv -E $S; done
>
> If a service name contains spaces it will be double-quoted.

Ugh.  That would necessitate the use of "eval" (or parsing the string, if
this were done programmatically)...

> The other major change is a new flag "-V" / "--verbose" which adds a lot
> more output to both the --list and the --query commands.  The output of
> --query is also made more sensible, for example the "Own Process"
> attribute is pretty much a given so I moved it into the --verbose mode.
>
> I had in mind a goal to add complete dumping of all information about
> services to cygcheck to aid in troubleshooting, and this makes it so
> that cygcheck can simply system("cygrunsrv --list --verbose").  Some
> examples:
>
> $ cygrunsrv -Q sshd
> Service             : sshd
> Display name        : ssh daemon
> Description         : Cygwin: Accepts remote ssh sessions
> Current State       : Stopped
> Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D

Ah, you've added the command line parameters here.  Very cool.

> $ cygrunsrv -Q sshd --verbose
> Service             : sshd
> Display name        : ssh daemon
> Description         : Cygwin: Accepts remote ssh sessions
> Current State       : Stopped
> Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
> stdin path          : /dev/null
> stdout path         : /var/log/sshd.log
> stderr path         : /var/log/sshd.log
> Environment         : CYGWIN="ntsec"
> Process Type        : Own Process
> Startup             : Manual
> Account             : LocalSystem
>
> Most every aspect of the service will be listed in verbose mode.  Below
> you can see that with both new options you get a wealth of information:
>
> $ cygrunsrv --list --verbose
> [long service list snipped]
>
> As you can see, if we simply add this to cygcheck we can now diagnose
> problems with services much quicker since nearly every bit of
> information is displayed.

It might be a good idea to get a short list of services unless cygcheck
got a "-v" option (basically pass the --verbose setting to cygrunsrv).
It's not that simple, though, since "cygrunsrv -L" won't output enough
information without "-v", but you get the idea...

> It also makes it easier if you want to modify some aspect of a service
> that is currently installed, because --verbose mode essentially gives
> you a blueprint of all the options that were used installing the
> service.  In fact that was one of the additional things I had planned on
> doing but didn't make it into this patch: A command that says "tell me
> what command I would use to install service X." That way if you wanted
> to modify any aspect of the service the pain of uninstalling and
> reinstalling is gone, especially if you no longer remember the options
> you used when creating the service.

This is pretty cool.  Again, thanks for doing this.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT